Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Don’t use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally examined and cleaned yearly.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating equipment is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 330-305-2799 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.